Collaborative Projects with Special populations
Consultant with the Cook County Sheriff’s Women’s Justice Services
- Developed curriculum and companion video, trained officers and counseling staff, and conducted a training of trainers.
Drug Courts – Adult Probation – Child Welfare and Substance Abuse
- Workshops on collaboration between criminal justice, child welfare and substance abuse in Illinois and nationally.
Child Welfare & Substance Abuse
- Project Manager for Project SAFE and the DCFS Initiative, an award winning child welfare and substance abuse collaborative project. Under my management SAFE maintained a 70% success rate.
Public Health & Substance Abuse
- Health Moms / Health Kids / Healthy Start – Collaborative infant mortality reduction outreach project for pregnant addicted women.
- Maya drafted the first Illinois substance abuse, domestic violence and sexual assault curriculum and remains a member of the advisory council.
Hispanic Addiction Services (HAS) –Recovery Management
- Maya is a member of the Recovery Management Advisory Council for HAS’ Hispanic/latino families in Chicago, where Maya has provided technical assistance to their Project SAFE since the late 80s.
- Presented on women’s issues at their regional meeting in Chicago to train medical student on addictions
Real Choice Systems Change
- Collaborative Project to develop consumer-driven approaches to integration of services for complex multi-system cases such as mental illness, homelessness, aging, developmental and physical disabilities.
Chicago Homeless Coalition
- Collaboration for homeless addicted pregnant and parenting women.
Housing – Illinois Residential Extended Care Association
- Founder and Past President of association of providers of halfway houses, recovery homes for substance abusers.
- Consultant to DePaul University on Oxford House evaluation
MISA (Mentally Ill Substance Abusers)
- Training/ technical assistance to MISA programs.
Collaborative Projects with Domestic Violence
- Facilitated focus groups and strategic planning for community groups including representatives from substance abuse, mental health, domestic violence, sexual assault, primary care, housing, and the courts.
Collaboration W/ Department on Aging
- Conducted focus groups with elderly substance abusers.
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren project in Illinois.
- Training and technical assistance to programs with prevention, early intervention and treatment services for adolescents in Illinois.
- Consultant on the planning committee, focus groups, and long–range planning for addicted males from diverse cultures, homeless, gay, disabled, mentally ill, criminal justice, adolescents, gang related.
- Training compliance monitors on rules, policies, and special populations.